If that last episode preview was anything to go by…
- Does that robot record everything?
- I feel like this will be a filler episode.
- Ginta is so impatient.
- Yuu stepped out at just the right moment.
- Yuu is kinda pissed, but he’s just being so him about it.
- Yuu just looks at Ginta like, “This is so~ dramatic.”
- “But then again, I don’t really look at you that much.” OOOO. Burn. You aren’t work his notice.
- *insert Arthur Reed fist meme here*
- Oh, shoot. Same house. Now the whole world will know.
- Tell him, Yuu. Yuu is so forceful and yet so chill at the same time. It’s a very cool attitude.
- I know that she’s anxious, but the sound of any heartbeat is just so soothing to me.
- Oh, Yuu. “Join me?” Geez.
- I don’t get it either, Miki.
- Class gossip mongers.
- Is he actually gonna get the hint that she’s not ready to talk? Probably not. I mean, I understand that he’s concerned, but really. She needs her space.
- The lady doth protest too much.
- MEIKO! Yay! I have reached achievement “Knows BFF name.”
- Aw. It’s a ducky duck.
- I did that once with some boys. Well, sorta. Anyway, it wasn’t that great of an idea.
- Is Yuu watching this?
- I do so honestly like the way that they handled this scene. I like the initial silence followed by sound, color followed by black and white. It was very well executed.
- I mean, it will indeed work out the way it is supposed to, but if she didn’t agonize, it wouldn’t be much of a drama.
- I don’t think either are worth this trouble.
- Obviously not this kiss with Ginta!
- Don’t yell at Meiko, Miki. She’s just trying to help…
- Oh, look, he does have a job. The way she said it in the other episode implied that she might not have actually believed that he was working and instead might have been out with some girl (ex. Arimi).
- I HAVE FOUND THE OTP OF MLB. That smile did it. MikiYuu all the way.
- But it’s still weird.
- He talks about her at work; so cute!
- Only in the 90s was purple and gold considered sophisticated.
- He’s so chill with his boss.
- OMG, “you went weird.” lol
- It’s like their version of Ring by Spring! (a thing at my college, btw)
- JUNK JUNGLE
- Is that girl his wife?
- He’s a human personification of a 16 y/o girl’s vague Facebook post! “Do you want to hear the story?? Ask me for more information!”
- …Who from Japan decides to move to New York and work as a tour guide in a major city from whence they are not native?
- FOR TEN YEARS HE CARRIED THAT AROUND WITH HIM AT ALL TIMES. You are not in high school anymore, sir. This has gotten extreme.
- Why does it have to be either of them, Miki? Aw, who am I kidding? We all feel like our first high school love will be the one that lasts forever.
- Their tiny boy shorts, lol. Reminds me of pictures of my Dad from the eighties.
- Kondou! (que Hakuouki flashback)
- It’s 90s GLASSES TEACHER MAN! From now on, we’ll just abbreviate him as 90GTM.
- “Why do you have me dressed up like this?” Because it’s the 90s. Get with it, Yuu.
- How can you say no to that sweet Miki face. (And complimented by the pink in that tennis outfit. I love that outfit. Can I buy one?)
- I also appreciate the way the formatted the still shot color changes.
- Of course he has to partner with Ginta, because OF COURSE.
- Why does Ginta have to beat this guy he’s going up against?
- hahaha totally avoided his gaze hahaha~~
- I’m sorry, it just sounds like such a funny reason to freak out. lol
- This is so cute, to be honest.
- What studio animated this? Did they also animate Boys over Flowers? I have to let this BOF thing GO!
OMG OMG OMG OMG THIS IS SO NOT OKAY OMG OMG OMG OMG THIS IS NOT OKAY
WHY ARE YOU HOLDING HER? OH MY GOSH NO
THIS CAN’T BE HAPPENING!!!
IS THIS WHY HE’S THE MOST POPULAR TEACHER?!?!
*Okay, deep breath*
#same, Yuu. #same.
I have to go… examine life? Die a little?
This is obviously a quality program. 100/10. Spoilers Ahoy!
- I physically need Yuu to find out.
- I LOVE how Ginta’s VA narrated his line on the title card. Also, you could say she’s being treated like an object, but I honestly love that line, just sayin’.
- WAS GINTA VOICED BY SOMEONE IN BOYS OVER FLOWERS?
- *off to Google* …He’s Sauske.
- The parent posse has left for work.
- Is Yuu going to be worried about her?
- He’s so… responsible?
- THAT ONE LITTLE TOUCH WAS ALL THAT IT TOOK TO MAKE HER BLUSH?
- That reaction wasn’t suspicious at all.
- Yuu. Notice Somthing!
- Does… does Miki’s journal have robots? What does BFF read Miki’s journal? Is it like… a book they pass back and forth?
- OOO…Yuu was behind Mr. Sad Eyes. I actually feel really bad for Ginta here. 😦
- She was, at no point, a willing participant in that kiss.
- On a bicycle built for two~~ Butt in face~~
- Aww… he’s trying to cheer her.
- I am restraining myself from making a comment regarding this show and the 90s every five minutes. You’re welcome.
- Skipping rocks is complicated?
- For like two seconds I thought that Ginta would be watching.
- …Is this what comedy shows in Japan are like?
- Again, the parent posse.
- OMG, OUR LITTLE SECRET *dies*
- This show even has the TOYS like Hana Yori Dango!
Yuu and the BFF (I really gotta learn her name) are so dense, and yet BFF seemed so insightful in the last episode!
- Oh, LOOK! It’s the ex-girlfriend because OF COURSE!
- HE FOUND THE TOY
- THIS IS NOT A DRILL
- YES ANGER AND DRAMA YES °-°)╮┳━━┳ ( ╯°□°)╯ ┻━━┻
- Will the ex-girlfriend and Ginta get together? I honestly hope not. Too many clean ends that way.
- Omg, this is going to go so badly.
- He’s been avoiding you? Maybe you should take the hint?
- …*side eye* …Good looks aren’t your thing? Pfft. Sure. I mean, of course things other than looks are important, but I doubt she looks at him and goes, “Ah, he’s handsome. Clearly not my type.”
- “It’s Yuu” v “It’s you.” LOL
- Don’t beg him, girl. You’re better than that.
- Dead eyes.
- Why is it SO hard for me to feel bad for Arimi? (Oh, look. I did spell it right.)
- Not plot related, but I really like the shine on that glass, including how it is reflected on the table.
- You are in denial so deeply.
- Confession time.
- He didn’t show everyone! I knew it!
- Oops… that bit was her fauly.
- Why do I still ship MikiGinta!?
- Back in those days…? What happened since then?
- The hair cut…WAS an apology?
- OHMYGOSH CONFESSION OHMYGOSH
- Is this the end???
How can that be the end!?!
That next episode clip… did… did I just see… the BFF… getting… um… up close and personal… with the 90s GLASSES TEACHER MAN!!????
WHAT DO I DO WITH THAT?? THAT CAN’T BE REAL! That has to be bait!!
Until next time I freak out,
Clearly it’s time for episode 3. Let’s light this candle! Spoilers Ahoy!! (I keep saying that and now I want chocolate chip cookies.)
- I’ve given enough commentary on the 90s way that this intro mashed Tamaki and Tuxedo mask into the form of teenage Yuu, so I’m going to stop now.
- Clearly, blue haired girl is the ex-girlfriend.
- Her eyes, lol. Aww…
- If it was already “like that,” this anime would not have a point.
- Why is it so shocking that a 16-17 year old boy has had a girlfriend?
- I’ll honestly stop commenting on their school uniforms now, I promise, but that tennis outfit is so cute.
- OMG, IT’S 90s GLASSES TEACHER MAN!!!! (I think this will always irrationally excite me.)
- Awww…she’s shipping her teachers.
- I know exactly how it consumes you when, as a high school student, your crush is crushing on another. This is incredibly accurate and also the 90s.
- Did I mention the 90s?
- The animation of their expressions reminds me so much of Boys over Flowers.
- Like, I know it was a flirtatious statement, but he’s right; that tennis outfit is fire.
- Me, chuckling: Oooooo… mad Ginta. Oooooo.
- It’S A PiSSInG ConT–Oh. Oh, no, never mind. It’s not Ginta. It’s some other dude.
- “He’s kinda weird [and I don’t mean the mullet.]”
- IS HE IN LOVE??
- Yuu: I’m not into that. Mullet Man: Me either. Yuu, thinking: Then why are you here??
- I’m laughing so hard.
- The creepy music makes it! ROFL
- Why does Mullet Man remind me of a Sailor Moon villain?
- Miki BFF: Is there something wrong? Yuu: “No, not really. [I just ran into a Sailor Moon villain.]”
- OMG… don’t sink my ship.
- Can is BE a ship? I’m still so conflicted!!
- I could have sworn she was going to tell Miki to follow him.
- When she said Wonder Dog, why did I suddenly picture Dino Mutt??
- “I will date you even though you live in my house.” -Yuu, basically
- “I’LL JUST GET ONE FOR YOU.” BE STILL MY HEART.
- Lol, wrong toy. Just be grateful, Miki.
- He’s a turtle dragon!
- It’s the ex-girlfriend!! GET OUT OF HERE, WOMAN. YUU IS SPOKEN FOR.
- CLINGY LIKE A SWEATER DRIED WITH BATHROOM TOWELS.
- The coincidence mirror maze is coincidental in that it takes forever for Miki to escape.
- She’s so dramatic about a mirror maze.
- She’s gonna be trouble. Areemee? Arimi? Am I too lazy to look up the spelling? Yes I am.
- DON’T DO THAT ON A DATE, YOU MORON.
- Thank goodness. Omg. I’m just gonna call it like my gut sees it (because last time with MyMess I was right). Bit**. He’s CLEARLY ON A DATE.
- But he doesn’t like her. Phew.
- Get your mind outa the gutter Miki.
- Miki is a pervert! ROFLOLOLOL
- … CONFRONTATION.
- Tell him, girl.
- I mean, she’s right. What right does Ginta have to complain at this juncture?
- I swear, you could drop the Boys over Flowers characters into this world and it would fit right in. Basically seemless.
- You’re spacing out, Miki.
- …Kiss candy? ROFL
- DON’T DO IT NOW, GINTA. DO NOT KISS HER.
- Is this sexual assault?! Or is it romantic!? Did he stop when she resisted!?
- YES, SLAP HIM, YES.
- Now Yuu just needs to find out what happened, please and thank you.
- He needs to find her while she’s distraught.
- Aww, okay, maybe next time.
She’s going to think everyone are jerks!
Why does 90s glasses teacher man make me so happy?
Is it okay to ship Miki and Yuu??
Why do I keep wanting to call Ginta Ginti as in Ginti from Death Parade????
WHY AM I ASKING YOU ALL THESE THINGS?
Well, here we go again! Jumping right in~! Spoilers ahoy!
- The pure 90s of the opening still has me going.
- Why can’t I have a tennis outft like that?
- What does “ichiban” mean?”
- OMG, that’s right, HE KISSED HER.
- These titles remind me of the formatting for Pokemon Indigo League.
- Again, WHO DESIGNED THOSE UNIFORMS??
Such bright colors, omggggg~~~
- Apparently he’s like an angel baby.
- Aw. He waited for her.
- Stop making it so obvious, girl.
- There’s the title! “It looks sweet, but the rind inside makes it kinda bitter, ya know?” Clearly that’s a prediction if I ever heard one.
- AND THERE SHE SAYS IT!
- “Huh??” lol
- “You’re just a spicy hot mustard girl.” ROFL X”’D
- The girl with the blue hair and lime green uniform is just… such clash.
- I mean, he did kiss her in her sleep.
- Crap (pardon my French), she’s falling in love.
- Such a love triangle.
- “I really don’t, you know.” Aww. Such pout.
- Forget it? Good luck with that.
- Why do 90s anime girls always eat when they’re upset?? I mean, I know it’s a thing that some people do, but it’s almost become a trope of the decade at this point.
- Blue hair, brown eyebrows, blue suit guy = clash
- Someone, somewhere: “OH, great idea for the campus TV news program! Let’s interview that hot boy everyone’s talking about and interrogate him about his love life!” Everyone else in the room: “Yes, yes, that is a perfect plan. Good.”
- IT’S 90s GLASSES TEACHER MAN. I AM IRRATIONALLY EXCITED.
- Oh, my gosh. LET’S LABEL MIKI.
- I can’t even look at the screen right now as she steals the mic. Too much cringe.
- Is no one watching/hearing them be argumentative?
- Do the teachers let this go on???
- It seems brown haired boy might create a problem. Geeta? Geenta. Ginta. There we go.
- Miki. OOOOOOh… she was turned down. This is getting so juicy.
- OMG, YES HE CAN.
- Awwww, the cheebs (yes, chibi, I know) are soooo~ cute!
- TWO YEARS? Well, I forget how time flows together in high school. Two years of romantic tension seems perfectly natural to me.
- Miki looks better with longer hair, I think.
- Yep, sounds like first high school love.
- Omgee, such young love.
- Now I want ice cream.
- Are we sure he didn’t like her?
OMG, I know exactly what happened!
- Awww… poor kids. </3
- This is such high school. He liked her the whole time. So sad. I bet the dudes just found/took the note and Ginta was playing cool because he’s a stupid high school boy.
- …Hair cut… apology…?
- Now blondie is gonna be jealous too!! Misunderstandings abound.
- Does she know how she feels?
- WHO VOICES HER? …B-Barbie??
- *looking it up* Wait wait wait NOT BARBIE! Chichi!?
- Poor Miki.
- Used to it? *gasp* Oh no! lol
- Omg, rude much, Miki.
- Taking out your aggression on a tennis ball works.
- Again I say, cute outfit.
- He’s watching her.
- Sabatini–HE WAITED FOR HER!
- Aww…poor Miki’s mom.
- Such 90s jewelry.
- BUM BUM BUM…ex-girlfriend?
We all know I’m going to watch episode three asap. (Time to schedule a new post!)
This is simply too hilarious and surprisingly dramatic but not in that typical “slice-of-life way” because it’s actually realistic in comparison to my own high school experience (*cough cough* unlike Say I Love You *cough cough*) and also…it’s THE 90s.
I would honestly keep watching this show if only for the decade in which it is so obviously placed.
Tell me, how do you feel about Marmalade boy??
Welcome, please let me provide some clarity as you listen to the podcast! I also will list my featured bloggers (below the podcast and clarifications)! Be warned that there is VERY literal fangirl-ing over Andrew Love ahead, as well as the same for on Yuri on Ice. ❤
- Firstly, they are papillons, not chiwawas. Secondly, here’s the video for that. Let’s pretend that the intro to my blog until just after we hit the singing pupplies<3:
- Turns out that I can’t time a release on Sound Cloud, sooo…you’re getting this post on Monday! Gotta go house sit this week, so after Wednesday, I won’t be able to record… I could just wait, but I’m impatient once I have something done! (*/_＼)
- The game title for the nameless “Shall We Date?” otome game that I reference is “Ninja Shadow.”
- Arria’s blog title is Fujinsei!
- Here is some of that Yuri On Ice music:
- Here is the glorious song by LeeandLie that makes me sound kinda like Ciel Phantomhive…
- They make a pink vita. My heart.
- Look, it’s the Mystic Messenger song. I bet it’s a real sweet sound when it wakes you up at 3:15 A.M. Also, you should read the hilarious text messages that flit acorss the screen here.
Lethargic Ramblings — LETHARGIC RAMBLE: UNDERSTANDING IN THE ANIME COMMUNITY & FIRST IMPRESSIONS: NINTENDO SWITCH
Archi-Anime — [REVIEW] SWORD ART ONLINE: ORDINAL SCALE & ANI-REALITY: SWORD ART ONLINE S2
100 Word Anime — FRIDAY’S FEATURE: CRYING WON’T HELP – MAN VS NATURE
Keiko’s Anime Blog — GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES
Reads, Rythms, & Ruminations — MY THOUGHTS ON YURI!!! ON ICE
Fujinsei — PRE-ORDER YURI KATSUKI & VICTOR NIKIFOROV (YURI ON ICE) NENDOROID FIGURES NOW!!!
Little Anime Blog — BETTER THAN A FAIRYTALE: OUR FAVORITE ANIME PRINCES
ALSO, I forgot that Karandi reviewed Dance with Devils. OMGosh. You guys should go read that.
To be honest with you, I’m not expecting this particular older anime to be my thing. Call it intuition, but I suspect it may turn out to be just a bit too slice of life for my tastes. Ah, well. Might as well give it a go.
The plot, as far as I’m aware, goes something like this:
Miki’s parents decide to get divorced and swap romantic partners with another couple that they met while she was with them on their family vacation to Hawaii, and upon this revelation, it is soon confirmed that this other swinger-esque couple has a son, Yuu, who is totally bae. It doesn’t take long before the two kids fall hard for each other, even though they try to fight it.
Sound about right? Let’s begin.
- My first look at the couple sitting on the bench has me thinking, “Ah, that’s pretty. Maybe this won’t be so bad.”
- Yuu looks like the Tamaki (Ouran) of another time, a 90s Tamaki. Ahh, but his eyes are brown. Too bad. Not a Tama-chan.
- “Ah, God, please stop time. I can’t find my books, my school uniform…” This song is living my life, I swear.
- Didn’t you know that having a boy on your mind will cause your hair ribbon to turn out wrong? Sheesh. Reckless.
- Yes, opening song, the protag is adorable and also absent minded, we get it.
- That 90s outfit from when she’s running up the hill. Perf
- I’ve got it! He’s a Tuxedo Mask Tama-chan! Yes, it’s a perfect fit. If 90s Darien and 00s Tamaki had a baby…
- For like two seconds during the theme song, I forgot that I was watching a dub, and the shock of the initial monologue was like… “W-what?”
- I can tell this will be rife with 90s lingo.
- These words and these mouth movements are not matching up, yo.
- Parents: We need for you to listen to us without freaking out. Me, as Miki: YOU WANT ME TO GET MARRIED. ARRANGED MARRIAGE. Also me, as me: Wait. Oh, yes. The plot of this anime.
- Awww sheet.
- Dat blu nose.
- “I Want to Fall in Love–He’s Handsome, but I Can’t Forgive Him” That’s how you do titles, anime people. Killin’ it.
- The toys! It’s like Hana Yori Dango!
- Who came up with the colors of those school uniforms?
- Who voices Miki in… *looks it up* OH MY GOSH, IT’S CHI-CHI! *dead*
- Oh, it wasn’t a family vacation. My bad.
- “And it wasn’t long before your mother and I…” me: decided to become swingers!
- Oh, my God. I know I shouldn’t say that, but what the actual hell? I can’t believe this is real.
- If you still love each other a lot, why don’t you just become swingers? I mean, I’m all about monogamy, but if you really want to swap partners but still love each other, you know there’s a subculture for that, right…?
- “We were more like best friends than insatiable lovers.” a) These are the kinds of conversations you have around your daughter. b) “Insatiable lovers.”
- “Stop! Are you out of your minds?” Well, at least someone said it.
- Miki friend, basically: I really like your cool, swinger parents.
- IS NO ONE HAPPILY MARRIED IN THIS ANIME!?
- Man, this just got real.
- Seriously, that uniform is so ugly.
- “Oh, hi, Ginta.” me: Oh, hi, bishie.
- Eww, that’s gross. Not a bishie.
- Because sometimes shoujo girls shout to themselves. It’s no big deal.
- God… “current wife.” God.
- “I’m SURE I told you.” Like, lady, no. You did no such thing.
- Foreshadowing: Yuu is gonna be chill about this whole situation.
- Miki: Now I have an ally! Also Miki: Oh, my God. 90s bae!
- Now THAT’S a 90s bishie.
- Oh my gosh, this is so hilarious.
- No one will notice me blush scarlet, put my hands over my cheeks, and turn away as I attempt to avoid exposure. -every shoujo heroine ever
- No one was even a little surprised, he says. By that, I am not surprised.
- Can’t you be hip to the grove, home spice? Chillaxxxx… *rolls eyes*
- I totally called Yuu’s attitude.
- Daym, you tell ‘um.
- Wow, this went from comedic to intense in literally 3 seconds.
- That loud shout was a bit awkward. I also have no idea what Yuu is thinking.
- OH. MY. GOD.
- (I don’t even think I need to explain the above bullet point. I mean, I’m pretty sure you know EXACTLY what I’m referring to.)
- BECAUSE I’M SURE YOUR PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIPS WON’T CHANGE.
- The way the parents keep moving closer to each other with each reaction shot!
- I mean, she’s not really the villain here. She’s a 17 year old girl who’s life has been thrown out of wack. I’d say she’s taking this pretty well, all things considered.
- Miki: I will slap you. Do not test me.
- These parents are so insensitive.
- The intermission clip makes me realize that there is probably going to be some sort of interesting one way love triangle between the gross boy, Yuu (can we just call him 90s bishie? no? fine.), and Miki.
- Woah, what law is this?
THIS FOUR WAY PARENT RELATIONSHIP IS THE WEIRDEST THING.
- Yuu’s face: mild concern
- Aww. Friends. 🙂
- Yuu: Let’s be friends. Miki: Take me.
- For real, I want those overalls.
- Yuu is being a doo-doo head.
- (Yes, I really just said “doo-doo head.”)
- Oh, my gosh! Is he flirting!?
- This quirky music is the best.
- Miki: I want to keep it a secret. Me, as Yuu: Good luck with that.
- It’s the 90s bae! She asks, what are you doing here?
- Of course he transferred. And of COURSE her mother recommended a school based on it’s “liberated atmosphere.” Does that explain the uniforms?
- Hey, is that guy my competition?
- Me: Something like competition!
- The jealously is understated and palpable. 😛
- So THESE are the friends that are going to get in the way of their garden of romance. Wait, didn’t I mention that in the plot synopsis? My bad.
- Well, hey, I didn’t expect that revelation.
- The pastel shirt! Such 90s!!
- Those 90s glasses! ❤ Such childhood nostalgia.
- Wait… did she just call her teacher “-chan?”
- I appreciate those comedic eyes.
- I’m sensing a secret backstoryyyy~~~~
- I love how, in some Japanese high schools, you can move right into an affiliated college without taking an entrance exam.
- “Wow, you have a library on campus?” …Is that unusual in Japan?
- Awww! A boy who likes leebreres! ❤ Yeees! 😀 Okay, I can ship it now.
- The teeny shorts!!
- Sparkle sweat. Like I said, if Tama-chan and 90s Tuxedo Mask had a baby…
- I have had that happen to me before and let me tell you IT HURTS.
- You’re a friend for now, until you try to steal her man.
- Aww, he came to see her…
- Aww! He’s in love!
WHAT THE SHIT WAS THAT!?!?! PARDON MY FRENCH BUT WHAT WAS THAT!?!?!?!?! I AM FREAKING OUT OVER HERE!!!!!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!! CAN THIS BE CONSIDERED MY MOST SHOCKING ANIME MOMENT!?!?!
- IN MY SHOCK, I FORGOT SHE WAS AWAKE. OH $#iT!
- WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS!?!?!?
What do I do with this!?! Am I allowed to ship this!?!? I mean, they are TECHNICALLY to be bother and sister, but this whole situation is so f-ed up that it really isn’t anything that I can comprehend and it’s like the whole family is in one big lovey-with-the-wrong-person pile and I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS!?!?
CAN I SHIP IT!?!??