To be honest with you, I’m not expecting this particular older anime to be my thing. Call it intuition, but I suspect it may turn out to be just a bit too slice of life for my tastes. Ah, well. Might as well give it a go.
The plot, as far as I’m aware, goes something like this:
Miki’s parents decide to get divorced and swap romantic partners with another couple that they met while she was with them on their family vacation to Hawaii, and upon this revelation, it is soon confirmed that this other swinger-esque couple has a son, Yuu, who is totally bae. It doesn’t take long before the two kids fall hard for each other, even though they try to fight it.
Sound about right? Let’s begin.
- My first look at the couple sitting on the bench has me thinking, “Ah, that’s pretty. Maybe this won’t be so bad.”
- Yuu looks like the Tamaki (Ouran) of another time, a 90s Tamaki. Ahh, but his eyes are brown. Too bad. Not a Tama-chan.
- “Ah, God, please stop time. I can’t find my books, my school uniform…” This song is living my life, I swear.
- Didn’t you know that having a boy on your mind will cause your hair ribbon to turn out wrong? Sheesh. Reckless.
- Yes, opening song, the protag is adorable and also absent minded, we get it.
- That 90s outfit from when she’s running up the hill. Perf
- I’ve got it! He’s a Tuxedo Mask Tama-chan! Yes, it’s a perfect fit. If 90s Darien and 00s Tamaki had a baby…
- For like two seconds during the theme song, I forgot that I was watching a dub, and the shock of the initial monologue was like… “W-what?”
- I can tell this will be rife with 90s lingo.
- These words and these mouth movements are not matching up, yo.
- Parents: We need for you to listen to us without freaking out. Me, as Miki: YOU WANT ME TO GET MARRIED. ARRANGED MARRIAGE. Also me, as me: Wait. Oh, yes. The plot of this anime.
- Awww sheet.
- Dat blu nose.
- “I Want to Fall in Love–He’s Handsome, but I Can’t Forgive Him” That’s how you do titles, anime people. Killin’ it.
- The toys! It’s like Hana Yori Dango!
- Who came up with the colors of those school uniforms?
- Who voices Miki in… *looks it up* OH MY GOSH, IT’S CHI-CHI! *dead*
- Oh, it wasn’t a family vacation. My bad.
- “And it wasn’t long before your mother and I…” me: decided to become swingers!
- Oh, my God. I know I shouldn’t say that, but what the actual hell? I can’t believe this is real.
- If you still love each other a lot, why don’t you just become swingers? I mean, I’m all about monogamy, but if you really want to swap partners but still love each other, you know there’s a subculture for that, right…?
- “We were more like best friends than insatiable lovers.” a) These are the kinds of conversations you have around your daughter. b) “Insatiable lovers.”
- “Stop! Are you out of your minds?” Well, at least someone said it.
- Miki friend, basically: I really like your cool, swinger parents.
- IS NO ONE HAPPILY MARRIED IN THIS ANIME!?
- Man, this just got real.
- Seriously, that uniform is so ugly.
- “Oh, hi, Ginta.” me: Oh, hi, bishie.
- Eww, that’s gross. Not a bishie.
- Because sometimes shoujo girls shout to themselves. It’s no big deal.
- God… “current wife.” God.
- “I’m SURE I told you.” Like, lady, no. You did no such thing.
- Foreshadowing: Yuu is gonna be chill about this whole situation.
- Miki: Now I have an ally! Also Miki: Oh, my God. 90s bae!
- Now THAT’S a 90s bishie.
- Oh my gosh, this is so hilarious.
- No one will notice me blush scarlet, put my hands over my cheeks, and turn away as I attempt to avoid exposure. -every shoujo heroine ever
- No one was even a little surprised, he says. By that, I am not surprised.
- Can’t you be hip to the grove, home spice? Chillaxxxx… *rolls eyes*
- I totally called Yuu’s attitude.
- Daym, you tell ‘um.
- Wow, this went from comedic to intense in literally 3 seconds.
- That loud shout was a bit awkward. I also have no idea what Yuu is thinking.
- OH. MY. GOD.
- (I don’t even think I need to explain the above bullet point. I mean, I’m pretty sure you know EXACTLY what I’m referring to.)
- BECAUSE I’M SURE YOUR PARENT-CHILD RELATIONSHIPS WON’T CHANGE.
- The way the parents keep moving closer to each other with each reaction shot!
- I mean, she’s not really the villain here. She’s a 17 year old girl who’s life has been thrown out of wack. I’d say she’s taking this pretty well, all things considered.
- Miki: I will slap you. Do not test me.
- These parents are so insensitive.
- The intermission clip makes me realize that there is probably going to be some sort of interesting one way love triangle between the gross boy, Yuu (can we just call him 90s bishie? no? fine.), and Miki.
- Woah, what law is this?
THIS FOUR WAY PARENT RELATIONSHIP IS THE WEIRDEST THING.
- Yuu’s face: mild concern
- Aww. Friends. 🙂
- Yuu: Let’s be friends. Miki: Take me.
- For real, I want those overalls.
- Yuu is being a doo-doo head.
- (Yes, I really just said “doo-doo head.”)
- Oh, my gosh! Is he flirting!?
- This quirky music is the best.
- Miki: I want to keep it a secret. Me, as Yuu: Good luck with that.
- It’s the 90s bae! She asks, what are you doing here?
- Of course he transferred. And of COURSE her mother recommended a school based on it’s “liberated atmosphere.” Does that explain the uniforms?
- Hey, is that guy my competition?
- Me: Something like competition!
- The jealously is understated and palpable. 😛
- So THESE are the friends that are going to get in the way of their garden of romance. Wait, didn’t I mention that in the plot synopsis? My bad.
- Well, hey, I didn’t expect that revelation.
- The pastel shirt! Such 90s!!
- Those 90s glasses! ❤ Such childhood nostalgia.
- Wait… did she just call her teacher “-chan?”
- I appreciate those comedic eyes.
- I’m sensing a secret backstoryyyy~~~~
- I love how, in some Japanese high schools, you can move right into an affiliated college without taking an entrance exam.
- “Wow, you have a library on campus?” …Is that unusual in Japan?
- Awww! A boy who likes leebreres! ❤ Yeees! 😀 Okay, I can ship it now.
- The teeny shorts!!
- Sparkle sweat. Like I said, if Tama-chan and 90s Tuxedo Mask had a baby…
- I have had that happen to me before and let me tell you IT HURTS.
- You’re a friend for now, until you try to steal her man.
- Aww, he came to see her…
- Aww! He’s in love!
WHAT THE SHIT WAS THAT!?!?! PARDON MY FRENCH BUT WHAT WAS THAT!?!?!?!?! I AM FREAKING OUT OVER HERE!!!!!! THIS IS NOT A DRILL!!!! CAN THIS BE CONSIDERED MY MOST SHOCKING ANIME MOMENT!?!?!
- IN MY SHOCK, I FORGOT SHE WAS AWAKE. OH $#iT!
- WHAT DO I DO WITH THIS!?!?!?
What do I do with this!?! Am I allowed to ship this!?!? I mean, they are TECHNICALLY to be bother and sister, but this whole situation is so f-ed up that it really isn’t anything that I can comprehend and it’s like the whole family is in one big lovey-with-the-wrong-person pile and I DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO WITH THIS!?!?
CAN I SHIP IT!?!??