“Starting Today, You Are a Host!”
A brief notice: I will try to log my reactions during this watch along as honestly as I can. Because this is not the first time that I have watched this show, I may find some moments more humorous than I did the first time around (because I happen to know what comes next). I will, however, try to keep myself as unbiased as possible. 😀
With that out of the way, let’s begin.
Kiss Kiss fall in love!
- This opening never stops being catchy.
- Spontanious talking to his mother.
- OH, MY GOSH. The roses. ~1:19-1:20
- That voice over.
- That arrow.
- FIRST light bulb. Pay attention to those.
- Oh, my gosh, those twins. Their faces. They talk in sync!
- “Openly what?”
- The types! My first into to shojo tropes. So accurate when compared to the guys in otomate games I’ve played.
- That blonde kid has to be… a kid.
- “Or maybe you’re into a guy like me. What do you say?” – Literally laughing aloud. HARUHI’S FACE.
- Now I know why I was supposed to pay attention to the arrows.
- 8 million yen = $78,965.60 USD
- “Since you have no money, you can pay with your body.” – Only this time through do I realize how funnily weird that sounds. Didn’t think about it the first time at all.
- *Poke poke*
- Tamaki Suoh, High School 2nd Year, Host Club King, “Only if you’ll feed it to me, darling.”
- Little piglet?
- Woah….instant coffee… O.o
- “I WILL DRINK THIS COFFEE!”
- She’s supposed to be so refined, but she says, “crap.” Seems fishy. ~7:44
- Are there going to be sparkles and roses every time we have a Tamaki close-up?
- “WHAT IF I LET YOU DRINK IT FROM MY MOUTH!?!?” *DIES* “Well then I would drink it.” – No, really?
- Hikaru and Kaoru Hitachinn, High School 1st Years, “I didn’t mean to upset you, but you were so adorable when it happened I had to tell them. I’m sorry.” “I forgive you.” – No. Way. OH MY GOSH, NO WAY.
- “What are they so excited about?” – I dunno, Haruhi. I’m dying of shock over here, personally.
- Takashi Morinozuka (Mori for short), High School 3rd Year
- Mitsukuni Haninozuka (Honey for short), High School…3rd Year?? That kid’s a third year??
- “Is that boy really a 3rd year student?” – Haruhi, I literally just asked myself the same thing.
- SECOND light bulb. I won’t say anything.
- Kyoya Otori, High School 2nd Year, Vice President, “My family employs a private police force of 100 officers.” – Boom.
- “You have to learn to be a gentleman and please the ladies, like me.” *sparkle* – I love Tamaki close ups.
- “It isn’t often that God creates a perfect person like moi.” – Gold. Disregard everything Haruhi said, Tamaki. Yes, do that.
- I don’t know if I can handle the intense rose backgrounds with this guy. They are too amazing.
- “How effective a glance to the side can be.” – Yes.
- “OBNOXIOUS!” *Tama-chan dies*
- I AM LAUGHING OUT LOUD SO HARD. Haruhi: Well, he got over that fast. Twin: Boss? Tamaki: Call me king!
- The twins. Those eyes.
- FOURTH AND FIFTH light bulbs.
- Because the story of your dead mother is being used to entertain people as a host.
- “I’m training him to be a gentleman like me.” *snaps fingers at Haruhi like Haru-chan is a dog*
- Mori-sempi is intense. SEVENTH light bulbbbbb….
- Sheeoot. That girl is viciouss—Is that a peeing statue??
- Tamaki has a good heart. ~18:10
- “Besides, people are always telling me I’m dripping with good looks.” Awwwww, Tama-chan! This whole encounter is so freaking cute.
- She’s jealous of his relationship with another man. Okay then.
- “He just attacked me!” This can’t be real.
- Me, knowing Haruhi didn’t attack her: Why pour the tea on Haruhi’s head, too?
- “I’m disappointed in you…” Me: No, Tamaki, no! “You threw his bag into the river, didn’t you?” Me: Oh, thank goodness.
- “You know, you’re a beautiful girl, but you’re not classy enough to be our guest, dear.” Tell her how it is. And with Mori-sempi standing in the background.
- “Haruhi is not that kind of a man.” Okay, I need to stop reiterating every line, but this whole conversation? A+
- 20:01 *dying*
- FINAL light bulb!!! Yay! And guess what. The first time watching it, I figured it out with Tamaki.
- That face.
- “Now, I could be wrong, but I think we might be seeing the beginnings of love here.” Kyoya, I don’t think you’re wrong.
- BOOM! END! OUT! QUE MANGA AUTHOR’S ACTUAL DRAWINGS.
And that’s it. Netflix is closed, the door is locked, and I’ve gone out to get Chinese food. But, as I sit here in this black metal chair waiting for my carry out order, I’m going to summarize a few of my additional thoughts. (And listen to people yell at each other in a language I don’t understand.)
Firstly, Ouran has some of the most talented voice actors of any English dub. It’s a fact. And the further we go along, the more you will start to recognize these same voice actors in other roles, and love their characters all the more for it. It really is incredible when you start to realize, for example, that J. Michael Tatum is Kyoya from Ouran, but also Tomoe from “Kamisama Kiss” and Sebastian from “Black Butler”. That Vic Mignogna is not only Tamaki, but also Zero from “Vampire Knight” and Edward from “Fullmetal Alchemist”. My favorite English voice actors list is a post for another day.
Secondly, I should probably explain that Ouran is a reverse harem. A reverse harem is a genre in which one female lead character is surrounded by a cast of male characters who all typically (but not necessarily) develop SOME form of romantic feelings towards the lead character. The “types” that Tamaki referenced when showing off the members of the host club were the some of the typical tropes of bishounen (also bishie, or very handsome boy) found in reverse harms and shojo in general. Like I said, Ouran makes fun of its own genre. 😉
Comment below to share your own thought on the episode. What did you think of Haruhi’s assertion that her own gender doesn’t matter?
Well, until next time, this is shoujothoughts signing off. 😀
#watchalong #ouran #ouranhighschoolhostclub #romance #reverseharem #spoilers